How we develop a technical article for manufacturing or industry.
We interview the closest customer facing technical individual: Sales, Engineering, Technical Support.
- Who is the customer and what do they do?
- Are they an existing relationship or a new one?
- What technology, product, or process did they buy?
- How did it improve their output?
- What was their goal? (i.e., energy savings, more sustainable technology, higher quality consumables?)
- How did the project begin?
- What specifically was the problem that started it?
- What was done first? (audit, laboratory testing?)
- Who suggested the solution, you, or the customer? Or did the customer come in with a specific request?
- When did the solution get implemented?
- How did the changeover proceed?
- Since then, what does the customer say?
- If possible, provide specifics on process improvement (30% less energy, 24% less rejects, etc.)
- What does the future hold? (more opportunities to serve the customer?)
From the outline, questions for the customer can be formulated for a formal interview if desired.